Saturday, July 26, 2014

Bourbon Sand Plum Butter

I have so much pulp from my sand plums!  I have made fruit leather with some and frozen most of the rest. Yesterday I decided to make sand plum butter. The bourbon idea came to me after making a sand plum whiskey sour ( that's another post). Here's the recipe. It was awesome on buttermilk biscuits this morning!

Bourbon Sand Plum Butter

2 quarts sand plum pulp
3/4 cup good bourbon
1 vanilla bean, split
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon each cinnamon and ginger
1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg and allspice

Soak your vanilla bean in the bourbon for at least 30 minutes. 

Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat. When it begins to bubble turn heat to low and cook at least 35 minutes stirring frequently. Cook to desired thickness. 

Remove vanilla bean. Ladle into hot jars and process in boiling water canner for 15 minutes. 

Serve on hot buttered biscuits!  

No comments:

Post a Comment