Friday, June 24, 2011

Swiss Chard and Whole Wheat Linguine

My Swiss chard was calling to be picked, so this afternoon, I answered.  I have never grown or even eaten chard before, but I decided it would be my experiment this year.  So far, so good.  Here is the recipe I used for my first meal with chard.  I sort of combined two recipes and then added my own flair.

Swiss Chard with Whole Wheat Linguine

3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion-any color
1 tbsp minced garlic
3/4 cup (187 mL bottle) dry white wine
2 bunches (17 cups, yes 17) chard, stemmed and rough chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
salt and pepper to taste

Cook linguine according to directions.  Drain

While water for linguine is coming to a boil, begin your sauce.  Melt butter and oil together in a large skillet over med-high heat.  Add onions and garlic and cook for approximately 1 minute.  Add the wine and cook for 5 minutes.  Add chard in two bunches and cook until wilted.  Remove from heat.  Add lemon, cream, and cheese.  Season to taste.  Pour over prepared linguine.

Simple as that.  It was really good and I will definitely make it again.  Now I just need to find some more ideas for chard!

**I like to cook with wine.  Sometimes I even use it the food!

Calling to me, "It's hot out here!"

"Ahhh. much better!"

If you don't use much wine other than what a recipe calls for, get the four packs.  Each bottle is about 3/4 cup.


Stems removed

Finished product!

2 comments:

  1. I plan in trying this! It sounds so yummy! I might throw in some mushrooms too.
    You have a really nice garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.
    I think it would be great with chicken too! I would have put mushrooms but I didn't have any except for what is in the yard.

    ReplyDelete